When should I replace Filters?
We recommend replacing the Pre-Filter every 3 months and the PECO-Filter every 6 months, or when your Filter Status Indicator shows 0% or shows an exclamation point.
How do Filter Status Indicators work?
You can view the status of the Pre-Filter and PECO-Filter after you connect your Molekule to a WiFi network. The indicators will update regularly when the Molekule is connected to the internet. The filter life status is based on the run time of the device. The Pre-Filter counts down from 90 days or 3 months and the PECO-Filter 180 days or 6 months.
To view the filter status on the touch screen of the device:
- Wake up your Molekule by tapping the screen once
- Tap the screen again to open up the Menu
- Swipe right 3 times to see the filter status screen
To view the filter status on the app:
- Open the app and go to the HOME screen
- On the HOME Screen, view the Filter Status Indicators at the bottom of the screen. You can tap the icons to get more info about the filters including instructions on how to replace them.
How do I replace or change my Filters?
First, open up the Molekule air purifier to access the filters by pressing down on the top and rotating counter-clockwise.
Changing the PECO-filter: Lift the top lid to lift the PECO-filter out of the Molekule. Pull off the old filter from the lid's gasket, and insert a new PECO-filter in its place. Place the lid with the new filter back into the air purifier, and twist counter-clockwise to secure.
Changing the pre-filter: Pull out the tray at the base, and take out the old pre-filter. Insert a new one in its place, and reinsert the tray into the device. To close the Molekule, press down on the top of the device and turn clockwise.
Check out this brief video on how to change your Pre-Filter and PECO-Filter:
Additional instructions can also be found in the:
- Quickstart Guide that was included in the box
- Mobile App
- Tap the Filter Status Indicator for the filter you need to reset
- Select the How to Replace Pre-Filter banner at the bottom of the screen
How do I reset the Filter Status Indicator after I change my filter?
You can reset your Filter Status Indicators after replacing the filters using the mobile app. Follow the steps below.
- From the Molekule Home screen, tap the Filter Status Indicator for the filter you replaced
- From the Filter screen tap Replace Filter. If the wrong filter is shown, swipe left or right to select the correct filter.
- Click Confirm Replacement to reset the Filter Status Indicator.
- This will be followed by a spinning wheel which may take a few seconds to reset
- Once complete a confirmation dialogue will appear
- Click Done to close the window and your Filter Status Indicator will reset to 99%
How do I dispose of used/dirty filters?
Currently, our Pre-Filter and PECO-Filters are not recyclable. Please treat them as normal garbage and dispose of them in accordance with your local garbage processing procedures.
Why do I need to replace filters?
The Pre-Filter is designed to trap larger particles like hair and dust. Its job is to prevent them from reaching the PECO-Filter where they could block the light which activates the PECO-Filter and allows it to destroy pollutants. Over time the Pre-Filter will become full of dust and hair and will cease to effectively trap particles.
The PECO-Filter is activated by light shining onto the filter membrane, which is coated with proprietary nanoparticles. This creates a catalytic reaction on the filter surface that actually destroys pollutants. Over time larger particles that escape the Pre-Filter can partially block the light, preventing it from reaching the surface of the PECO-Filter and reduce its efficiency. Changing the PECO-Filter every six months ensures that your Molekule can efficiently destroy pollutants.
How do I order more replacement filters?
Sign up for auto-refills to automatically receive (2) Pre-Filters and (1) PECO-Filter every 6 months. You can read more about how our filter auto-refill program works here. If you are using your Molekule in an environment that has a large volume of dust, dirt, pet hair, dander, etc. you may want to change your filters more often. Please contact support and we can help you purchase additional filters.
I just received my replacement filters and they look different than before. Is this correct?
We are continuously evaluating and testing our filters to ensure they provide the best results. We have recently improved our Pre-Filters and PECO Filters and are slowly transitioning to these new versions.
This new generation of Pre-filters (Version 2.1) appears gray compared to the previous Pre-Filter (Version 2). The newest version of our PECO Filter utilizes the same filter media and has the same effectiveness as the previous version, but after doing research on the manufacturing process this new design uses less material and is more sustainable.
Rest assured that these newer versions of our filters are still effective at cleaning the air.